9.05.2009

The Holy Land

I finally made it! Jerusalem is great and nothing like I expected. We got off the plane in Tel Aviv and got on a bus to go to Jerusalem. On the way we did see a McDonalds. We finally got to the Center at about 4:30 pm and they would not let us go to sleep, instead we had to go to two more orientation meetings, dinner and things. The food here has been pretty amazing so far. Pita bread is a regular meal item (it even served as our sacrament bread). They have really good fruit and I’m excited to try some new things.

I have had the chance to walk around the Old City twice now. We are just trying to get familiar with it. Tomorrow we have a full free day and we plan to go to Sister Zion’s Convent, walk the city wall, Oscar Schindler’s grave, Dormitory Abby, and Chagall Windows. We have to go and write a short paper on a few of these cites for our Old Testament class. So far I have been to The Church of the Holy Sepulcher, Old City, and just kind of walked around Jerusalem. Today was the Sabbath so we had church, some people went to Gethsemane before church and I cant wait to go as well. After dinner we walked up Mt. Scopus past a hospital, and said hi to a few people. We found this really cool lookout and took some pretty awesome pictures. As for security, I feel a lot more secure then I thought. We have security guards all around the Jerusalem Center, they gave us cell phones, key cards, and most people in the city know us as mormons and kind of lookout for us, which I think is pretty awesome. The people are really nice and I cannot wait to get to know them better.

We found out today that the Hebrew University is only like a block away. I am taking an online class so I have to go there to use their Internet to work on that class. Hopefully I will be able to upload some pictures at that time. We go on our first field trip on Monday, and I’m expecting to take lots of pictures.

You shall hear from me soon! And it was really good to read your comments.

Until next time!

Bridget- I have Catching Fire and I am little more then halfway done. I plan on calling you and having a deep conversation about everything that has happened. It turns out I am a little busy so I only read when I cant do anything else.  

Melissa- Hope you are able to read it, and you will have to let me know what you think of it! I love it so far!

6 comments:

Cameron and Melissa Johansson said...

Sounds like you have been having lots of fun! Keep the updates coming! Cameron told me I wasn't allowed to buy it or look at it until my birthday! It's a bummer! I can't wait to see pictures of everything you are doing!

Mary and Jordan said...

yay im so glad you have already updated. i will be checking on a regular basis so i dont miss a thing from your great adventure. well tell the girls hey!!! miss you!

meghan elizabeth said...

Congratulations on a safe arrival! It sounds like you are already keeping so busy. I think that would kind of stink to have to do homework when you just want to discover everything around you. Have so much fun in Gethsemane

Itai said...

I told you the fruit would be amazing ;) Alex..I can't wait to hear all about your experiences! Keep me posted =)

love,
itai

bradget said...

I'm glad you made it alive! Yes... call me when you're done with the book. Although give me advance warning so I can plan to actually answer my phone :)

Take tons of pictures! I'm so jealous, I need to live through you.

irondave said...

Keep the notes coming. I can remember my visit there in 1995 after coming out of Somalia and while it was amazing to walk through those ancient streets it was strange how it all seemed familiar - like it was exactly like I thought it would be. Pita and hummus? - first time for me was in Tiberius on the Sea of Galilee - enjoy everything and be safe and keep us all reading and living through you. Love, Dad